"Still Putting Chevys in Driveways Since 1953..."
 
Opening on April 4,1953, Pendarvis Chevrolet is the CSRA's oldest Chevrolet-Oldsmobile Dealer and was South Carolina's largest Chevrolet dealer for over 50 years. In that time, Pendarvis Chevrolet had sold over 55,453 cars and trucks. Over the past 68 years, Pendarvis has remained your "Hometown" dealer and has maintained faithful customers that have been here from day one!
In April of 1953, Julian Marion Pendarvis, Sr. opened the original Chevrolet dealership which was located on Buncombe Street in Edgefield, South Carolina. The dealership was built in the middle of a cow pasture.An early ad stated that "If a Car isn't on the Lot, There are more in the Pasture with the cows." At that time, 10 cars were sold to every 1 truck, which is very different from the 1 car to every 10 trucks sold nowadays.Original Pendarvis Chevrolet located on Buncombe St. in Edgefield, SC
 
As a child, Richard Pendarvis spent all of his summer vacations working with his dad at the dealership. In 1981, at the age of 19, Richard began working full-time at the family business. When Butch Pendarvis retired, Richard took over the legacy and made the third generation management a reality. 
It's been over 68 years since Julian M. Pendarvis and the lovely Virginia Salley came to the small town of Edgefield, SC with a dream to start a car dealership. Little did they know the impact that Pendarvis Chevrolet would have on the small rural town. Pendarvis Chevrolet has received many awards and continues to be the local favorite for many of the residents surrounding the landmark. A recent logo change really sets the tone of the heartbeat here at Pendarvis Chevrolet. Our aim is to serve you in such a way that you will not even consider taking your car business anywhere else! So come on out and see us at At left, Young Richard stands with his father as he receives his 25 year dealer plaque awarded to him from Chevrolet in 1984.
 
Mr. Pettigrew, Sr. is pictured above with his son, John W. Pettigrew, Jr., who followed in his father's footsteps and became a salesman at Pendarvis Chevrolet, as well.
 
Pictured above are from left to right: Julian M. Pendarvis, Sr., Julian M. (Butch) Pendarvis, Jr., and John W. Pettigrew, Sr.
 
First Pendarvis Chevrolet Advertisement in 1953. (Left)
 
Pendarvis Chevrolet Founders: Julian Marion and Virginia Salley Pendarvis (cir. 1938)
 
Pictured above and below are photos from the grand opening advertisement for the current location of the dealership on Augusta Rd.
Leaving their home in Holly Hill, SC in 1953, Julian Marion and Virginia Salley Pendarvis settled in the small town of Edgefield, SC and there began to build the business that is known by South Carolinians up to a 40 mile radius around, and perhaps even known throughout the state

In 1958, Pendarvis Chevrolet added Oldsmobile to its line. The goal was to sell 50 units a year, but they didn't reach that goal until 2 years. John W. Pettigrew Sr., one of the first Pendarvis Chevrolet-Olds Salesmen, soon worked those numbers until his Banner year in which he sold 912 units. 
Mr. John W. Pettigrew Sr. ranked the Top Retail Salesman in the World from 1985 until 1988. He was also the first salesman to sell a car at the original Pendarvis Chevrolet in 1953 to the late Bill Christie.
By 1964, the dealership had grown enough that it needed to expand. It was moved to its current location on 12 acres of land on Augusta Rd. in Edgefield, SC. In the past 51 years since the move, Pendarvis Chevrolet has went through several style changes, but it still remains family owned; now by the third generation of Pendarvis Men.
At 14, J.M. (Butch) Pendarvis Jr. started working at his father's dealership. In December of 1961, at 23, Butch became the Coorporation Officer and Stock holder. In 1964, after the death of his father, Butch took complete ownership of the dealership.

PENDARVIS CHEVROLET
"STILL PUTTING CHEVYS IN DRIVEWAYS SINCE 1953..."